Systems Engineering Internship, Corporate- Summer 2018
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
At Corporate, you’ll team with the best in the business to build one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry. Uniquely positioned at the center of an exciting, multi-faceted Company, the forward-thinkers at Disney Corporate constantly pursue new ideas and technologies to help the Company’s many businesses drive value, all the while gaining something valuable from the experience themselves. Come see the most interesting Company from the most interesting point of view.
Systems Engineering is a team responsible for planning and executing the integration of Internet based products and services for shared DTSS Platform Services.These services reside in a complex data center and network environment and must be efficient, secure, scalable, reliable and cost effective. This position will primarily support the Foundational Technologies systems used across the DTSS sites, including ESPN.com, ABC.com and Disney.com, among others.
Primary responsibilities include evaluation, implementation and support for shared products developed for DTSS sites. This includes any applications, hardware configuration, custom software implementation, database administration, network and systems design, performance and availability monitoring, process improvement, and systems documentation.
This position is also responsible for executing tasks for projects within the Technical Operations team. Typical projects would include new business unit initiatives and updates to existing products and services that require planning, incredible attention to detail, communication to stakeholders, and flawless execution.
- General knowledge of server hardware technologies and systems support – administration, configuration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, security, and general maintenance
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and Linux enterprise operating systems (20/80%)
- Knowledge of Memcache, IP communication, packet structure, load balancing equipment, and troubleshooting
- Systems knowledge, including familiarity with client server architectures and their physical components (servers, network devices, disk-subsystems and SAN)
- Exposure to database management systems including Mongo, Cassandra (non-SQL DB)
- Ability to participate with other functional teams in systems integration and design including writing operational specifications, test plans and requirements management with attention to detail
- Critical thinking, problem resolution, team building, negotiation, and decision-making skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with Cloud technologies and data processing tools.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class, or be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months at time of application, or be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program.
- Enrolled in Associate or Bachelor program: MIS, Computer Science, Math, Engineering or a related field; or equivalent experience in Technical Operations or Software Development
The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, an equal opportunity employer.
- The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2018 through August/September 2018
- Candidate must be available to work full time hours (approximately 40 hours per week) for the duration of the internship
- Able to provide own housing and transportation in the Seattle area
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must be at least 18 years of age