Sr Software Engineer - Java/Hadoop
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Disney’s Enterprise Data Platform team’s mission is to provide services and support for Disney’s shared Big Data infrastructure including technologies within Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, YARN, Spark, Hive, Pig, Hue, HBase and Flume) and a number of in-house built data integration systems.
You will have the opportunity to be part of a team responsible for supporting our Corporate and Segment business lines, including Networks (ABC and ESPN,) Studios (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm) Parks & Resorts and Disney Consumer Products & Interactive.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of the team supporting and troubleshooting existing data platform and also will help us to bring the game on to the next level by playing the key role in the upcoming cloud migration.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about Big Data technologies and has demonstrated experience in designing, developing and maintaining data-centric Java systems running at high scale. Flexibility and the ability to wear multiple hats of architect, software developer and test engineer will also be key. Our team culture is business/customer focused, goal-oriented, collaborative and driven to achieve results.
- Work in close collaboration with peer system and software engineering teams and customers to support Enterprise Data Platform
- Implement required changes in data ingestion services to support new integration use cases
- Analysis, design, implementation and testing activities around the migration of existing systems and workloads from the on premise Hadoop environment to the cloud
- Evaluate third-party frameworks, products and cloud services to determine if Enterprise Data Platform team and its customers can benefit from using those
- At least 5 years of experience as software engineer designing and developing scalable, maintainable, operational web services and data processing applications
- At least 1 year of experience as software engineer working with BigData / Hadoop technologies
- Strong server-side Java background (Servlets, Spring)
- Proficiency in Hadoop ecosystem (Hadoop, Hive, Oozie, Flume)
- Experience with designing and building solutions on any cloud platform (preferably AWS)
- Good unit testing and integration testing skills
- Experience with MySQL or any other popular RDBMS
- Experience working in Linux environments
- Working knowledge of Git
- Understanding of Scrum / Agile Methodologies
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Hands-on experience with software design patterns
- Good communication skills and proven ability to work both independently and in a team onsite
- Ability to jump in and handle ambiguity
- Software architect experience
- Experience with NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase)
- Apache Spark experience
- Experience with load-testing tools (JMeter)
- BS degree in related field
- MS degree in related field
Company Overview At Corporate, you’ll team with the best in the business to build one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry. Uniquely positioned at the center of an exciting, multi-faceted Company, the forward-thinkers at Disney Corporate constantly pursue new ideas and technologies to help the Company’s many businesses drive value, all the while gaining something valuable from the experience themselves. Come see the most interesting Company from the most interesting point of view. Additional Information
- This position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.