Executive Director, Enterprise Consumer Data
The Walt Disney Company has recognized data as a strategic asset and our ability to manage and mine our data as a strategic capability and competitive advantage for the company. In this technology space, new and unique approaches to data management are emerging and advancing rapidly. These emerging technologies enable greater insights than ever before that drive business management and product growth capabilities, consumer innovation and personalization capabilities. There are multiple active data initiatives within the company which have been outlined as key revenue drivers for the next 10 years, tied to an overall “Personalization” initiative which will deliver growth in Product Sales, Ad Sales and efficiency in Marketing.
This role is part of the Disney Enterprise Technology Organization whose mission is to provide an interoperable and governed data ecosystem which brings us closer to the consumer, makes us more efficient and enables the business to transform data into value. This role will be responsible to define and execute on an evolving consumer data strategy.
He/she will be responsible for providing senior technical leadership and strategic technical direction for enterprise and corporate initiatives.
The Executive Director, Enterprise Consumer Data Platforms will partner with business leaders, chief architects, and segment executives to develop a data platform strategy that aligns with the enterprise architecture framework and modernizes the portfolio, while optimizing the Total Cost of Ownership. He/she will be responsible for the development, communication and ongoing governance of architecture blueprints, roadmaps, principles, standards and reference architectures to promote consistent solutions and portfolio rationalization. The candidate will be responsible for managing key vendor relationships in order to ensure ongoing delivery of enterprise capabilities. The candidate should also be experienced in defining and delivering against data governance policies and procedures in a federated and complex organizational construct using a combination of influence and authority to execute broad strategic objectives.
Responsibilities will include:
- Educate and influence senior IT and business leadership in the data management domain, articulating conceptual ideas and their impact to a widely divergent audience using excellent verbal, written, and listening skills
- Manage Data Vendor Enterprise contracts on-behalf of TWDC including strategic partnerships that span all lines of business and domains
- Define the Data Strategy to identify technical solutions and capability gaps against the roadmap of all TWDC data domains, based on the analysis of Disney’s business goals, objectives and needs, and ensures alignment with other key technology functions
- Work with business partners to develop and/or evaluate business cases and align the architecture solution to meet stated business requirements
- Define architecture strategies and approaches to advance Enterprise Technology and Segment data initiatives
- Provide technical leadership a team of leaders who manage sustainment, governance and project teams, clarifying business needs and requirements of highly complex systems
- Provide strategic direction and oversee the integration of emerging Big Data platforms and tools for advanced analytics including machine learning/data science
- Identify opportunities for common solutions across the enterprise, which span transactional, operational and analytical platforms, collaborating within the architecture and development communities. Partner with enterprise architecture team to ensure consistent, high-quality and repeatable designs.
- Provide data management industry insight and guidance. Research, analyze and assess advanced and emerging technology solutions in multiple technology domains, anticipating the impact on architectures and systems
- Partner with business executives and senior architects to identify data and process issues, then provides solution options and recommends options.
- Provide recommendations on system options, risks, cost/benefit analysis, and impact on cross-domain systems, business strategy, goals and processes.
- Define appropriate metrics to measure success and service levels
- Manage a team of Directors and Principals including recruitment, development and performance management of all direct reports. This position is projected to oversee a team of approximately 40, consisting of architects, engineers, developers, and database administrators.
- Demonstrated planning, change management, consulting and communication skills, analytical ability, negotiation and management skills
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated individual with strong analytical and research skills
- Must be a team player with demonstrated customer and delivery focus
- 15+ years of experience in programming/systems analysis and business experience.
- 7+ years providing architectural direction to project development teams or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience with Advertising and Marketing Technology, including Marketing and CRM systems, DMPs, and 3rd party Ad Servers
- 5+ years of experience designing data architectures with Hadoop and related capabilities, such as Spark, Hive, Storm, Presto, Sqoop, Kafka, Hbase, SQL databases, and HDFS, preferably in a large-scale consumer focused industry
- Expertise in cloud computing and leveraging cloud capabilities within data platforms
- Expertise regarding data architecture, data stewardship, data quality, ETL/ELT, Hadoop, Warehousing, Data Science and business intelligence tools, and techniques. Certifications a plus.
- Experience with Python, Java, Scala or similar high level programming language.
- Experienced with systems utilizing high volume and complex data processing, database platform selection and optimization, metadata management suites and OLAP technologies.
- Solid understanding and experience with formal project life cycle methodologies
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening skills across multiple audiences from highly technical team members to business consumers at the highest levels of management.
- Proven experience in overall data management, data modeling, metadata management, master-data management and data movement.
- Bachelor’s degree, with equivalent work experience in MIS, Computer Science or related discipline.
- Master’s degree, preferred
Additional Informationis position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.