Site Reliability Engineer, Core Engineering
Core Engineering is a distributed team that owns internal tools used to deploy the services that make up MLBAM's products. Built for AWS with a variety of open source software, our tools are used by dozens of engineering teams across the company. We strive to act as a productivity multiplier by offering our customers rich primitives for delivering their services, allowing them to focus more on product.
Site Reliability Engineers fulfill a cross-functional role by driving the delivery of services through to production. Within Core Engineering, you will help design and operate services to support exponential growth in MLBAM's product and partner portfolios. You'll also collaborate with other engineers to pave way for the future of infrastructure in AWS, moving beyond traditional practices. You should have a passion for systems engineering, monitoring & observability, and automation.
This position can be worked remotely, or from our locations in NYC, or San Francisco. Responsibilities
- Maintain, and improve, the reliability and operability of services
- Design systems to enable rapid development, high availability, and clear observability
- Write tools, and leverage open source, to automate tasks with an emphasis on safety and repeatability
- Troubleshoot and resolve performance and reliability issues across the stack, including cloud resources
- Collaborate with engineers to ensure services are designed to be cloud-native, scalable, and easily operated
- Experience writing software on, or operating, *nix platforms
- You're a self-learner, independent, and have excellent problem-solving skills
- You care deeply about code craftsmanship and operational excellence
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with software containers (e.g. Docker, rkt, runC) and schedulers (e.g. ECS, Kubernetes, Nomad)
- You've directly impacted the reliability and availability of large-scale distributed systems
- Deep understanding of networking, especially routing and the IP stack
- You've deployed and operated geographically distributed, redundant services
- Engagement with open source communities
Technologies We Love:
- Languages: Go, Ruby, Bash
- Tools: Docker, Git, Graphite, GraphQL, Jenkins, Logstash, Packer, Puppet, Sensu
- Data stores: DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Redis
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
BAMTech is a streaming technology joint venture between The Walt Disney Company, Major League Baseball Advanced Media, and the National Hockey League. BAMTech handles streaming for numerous partners, some of which include, HBO, MLB, NHL, Eurosport, ESPN, and World Wrestling Entertainment.
Fans demand access to content on their own terms on any device, anytime, anywhere. We are those fans. As a result the BAMTECH Media team helped pioneer live event streaming over the Internet in 2002 for Major League Baseball. The passion to improve that experience led to many impressive firsts: the first 720p or “HD Ready” stream, the consecutive record for concurrent streams and the first stream in 8K ultra HD. Today BAMTECH Media has a proven, scalable platform that powers direct-to-consumer applications for leading entertainment brands; and is now a major player in sports and eSports rights acquisition.
Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.