Broadcast Infrastructure Engineer
As a Broadcast Infrastructure Engineer on our team, you’ll be involved with the planning, procurement, installation, testing, evaluations and life-cycle support for new and existing BAMTech broadcast systems. This includes the infrastructure located at the multimedia datacenters on the east. The candidate will also possess in-depth knowledge of IP networks, video matrix routers, audio and video broadcast systems, as well as knowledge of integrated multimedia control systems. You’ll be expected to contribute to system builds from their foundation to their completion and work closely with vendors to integrate new systems into our environment. This position will report directly to the Broadcast Infrastructure Engineering Manager.
- Assist with efforts to install, maintain, repair, expand broadcast and broadcast related systems, and work to refine processes related to these systems with multiple departments, both remote and local.
- Install, test, document, modify and repair multimedia hardware, software related to broadcast and broadcast-related network devices.
- Review trouble tickets and nightly engineering reports to process requests for follow up support.
- Provide support of video transmission systems, including IP and ASI encoding, decoding, and other broadcast transmission related hardware.
- Proactively monitor, analyze and rectify technical faults in a variety of broadcast and broadcast related IP systems.
- Provide professional, courteous and timely technical support.
- Perform initial out of band (OOB), network and serial configurations to establish device connectivity for other departments.
- Ability to manufacture audio, video, network, serial and other industry standard cables.
- Support and assist in integration of broadcast system updates at remote locations.
- Perform sweeps of facilities to document errors as found and notify the system owners of faults found with their equipment.
- Execute regular maintenance and upgrades of broadcast systems during overnight maintenance windows.
- Create network port and firewall requests to facilitate the addition of new equipment in our facilities.
- Provide regular status and system update reports to management.
- Perform routine backups of system configurations and logs.
- Manage passwords for all Broadcast Systems.
- Oversee asset management duties including maintaining equipment stock and tracking on-going RMAs within facilities.
- 2+ years of professional Broadcast and/or IT management experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of video backhaul and distribution methodology.
- Occasional weekend and overnight availability to perform work within maintenance windows.
- Availability for on-call support.
- Understanding of networking topology, and OSI Model.
- Competence with Mac/PC/Linux Operating Systems.
- Experience with configuring equipment via serial, BIOS, ILOM, IDRAC, CIMC and TCP/IP.
- Assist Systems, Netadmin, Media Delivery and Broadcast Infrastructure and Broadcast Operations groups with servicing local and remote systems as necessary.
- Experience with Omnigraffle, Visio, or CAD
- Lifting of heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of ASI and IP Video Transport concepts
- Ability to travel to remote sites as needed (15-30% travel)
- Comprehensive knowledge of both SMPTE and EBU standards
- Experience with Evertz, Ross, Sencore, Grass Valley, S-A-M and other Broadcast hardware manufacturers.
- Travel required.
- Experience with Wireshark, or other packet analyzers.
- Experience with video encoding and assorted CODECs.
- Programming experience is highly desirable, but not required.
BAMTech is a streaming technology joint venture between The Walt Disney Company, Major League Baseball Advanced Media, and the National Hockey League. BAMTech handles streaming for numerous partners, some of which include, HBO, MLB, NHL, Eurosport, ESPN, and World Wrestling Entertainment.
Fans demand access to content on their own terms on any device, anytime, anywhere. We are those fans. As a result, the BAMTech Media team helped pioneer live event streaming over the Internet in 2002 for Major League Baseball. The passion to improve that experience led to many impressive firsts: the first 720p or “HD Ready” stream, the consecutive record for concurrent streams and the first stream in 8K ultra HD. Today, BAMTech has a proven, scalable platform that powers direct-to-consumer applications for leading entertainment brands; and is now a major player in sports and eSports rights acquisition.