Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Featuring exclusive original movies, series, short-form and live events and a vibrant catalogue that spans classic Disney Animation to the most recent movie releases available to stream on demand, the Disney Direct-To-Consumer (DTC) service will be a global, premium entertainment destination that connects viewers to the great stories of The Walt Disney Company. We’re looking for talented team-player specialists with an entrepreneurial spirit, who thrive upon the incomparable legacy of our company yet embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer experience through strategic hard-work and determination.
We are seeking an experienced film and television executive for the Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs position. This individual will collaborate with Business & Legal Affairs teams across all segments of The Walt Disney Company, playing a critical role in structuring the overall strategic approach for original programming deals for Disney DTC. The ideal candidate will have experience in a comparable position shepherding Business & Legal Affairs for both movie and television programming for SVOD platforms.
- Manage all aspects of Business & Legal Affairs strategy, policy and procedure for Disney DTC
- Partner with related TWDC segments in the consistent coordination and negotiation of complex deals related to original programming, including movies, scripted pilot/series, international co-productions, documentaries, specials, short-form, live events, ancillary content, third-party acquisitions, etc.
- Rigorously analyze deal structures and advise on strategy, costs, talent relations and other information relating to the development and production of original productions
- Partner with each TWDC segment legal team to draft term sheets and other documentation
- Work closely with internal team members in creative, scheduling and finance to set Disney DTC’s content strategy, financial plan, and programming calendar
- Act as a business liaison between Disney DTC and the creative community (e.g., talent agencies, studios and independent production companies)
- Identify and pursue original-related new business development and alternative financing / production opportunities, including international partnerships
- Provide general business counsel in a rapidly changing business and tech environment
- 15+ years total experience (at least 10 years doing Business Affairs)
- J.D. degree from a top tier law school and 3-5 years practicing at a nationally-recognized law firm (or comparable in-house media, legal affairs experience)
- Extensive knowledge of SVOD transactions including movies, network and studio licensing, co-productions, development and talent deals, IP acquisitions, contingent compensation structures, and agency package arrangements
- Strong leadership, organizational skills and emotionally intelligent communication with a vision
- Proven ability to work across a matrixed organization while also able to self-motivate
- Established professional network and reputation as a smart doer within the TV industry
- Familiarity with production budgets and the ability to provide business counsel on production matters
- High degree of knowledge related to unions and guilds, production tax incentives, and international co-productions
- Familiarity with the brands and franchises of The Walt Disney Company
- Familiarity with domestic and international distribution marketplace and sales benchmarking
- J.D. degree from a top tier law school
Company Overview At Corporate, you’ll team with the best in the business to build one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry. Uniquely positioned at the center of an exciting, multi-faceted Company, the forward-thinkers at Disney Corporate constantly pursue new ideas and technologies to help the Company’s many businesses drive value, all the while gaining something valuable from the experience themselves. Come see the most interesting Company from the most interesting point of view. Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.