Senior Clearance Administrator
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company and its affiliates (TWDC) that brings our stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across numerous categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps and console games. DCPI comprises two main lines of business: Disney Consumer Products (DCP), and Disney Interactive (DI). The combined segment is home to world class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations around the world.
DCPI Legal is part of the Legal Department of The Walt Disney Company and provides legal advice to DCPI with the goal of assisting DCPI in meeting its strategic business objectives. DCPI Legal is seeking and experienced Senior Clearance Administrator to support legal clearance, including with respect to DCPI’s licensed and vertical merchandise and publishing businesses. In addition to working with attorneys and other professional within Disney Legal, this position will liaise with DCPI Business Affairs, DCPI Creative Group, Global Licensing, Disney Publishing Worldwide, Disney Stores, Disney Interactive, Walt Disney Studios, and Disney Media Networks. Responsibilities
- Handle various aspects of legal clearance for licensed and vertical merchandise and publishing.
- Research and summarize talent agreements, acquisition agreements, license agreements, chain of title, etc. to provide rights advice for consumer products exploitation.
- Prepare memoranda summarizing merchandising rights for entertainment properties, including third-party approvals, rights, obligations, and restrictions.
- Attend script clearance meetings and screenings to review and clear pre-release concepts and artwork.
- Liaise with producers, designers, product developers, project managers, franchise managers, business affairs, and other business, creative, and ops stakeholders.
- Review Style Guides, publishing layouts, concept art, final frames, unit photography, asset pools, archival material, and other visual assets.
- Manage clearance process for domestic and global merchandise and publishing and support colleagues on international and regional clearance matters.
- Identify and analyze (and elevate to attorneys where appropriate) legal and contractual issues such as copyright, trademark, guild obligations, talent approvals, right of publicity, fair use, work-for-hire/assignment of rights, royalties, and participations.
- Work closely with DCPI Legal attorneys to analyze and resolve legal issues and provide relevant advice to clients, both written and oral.
- Collaborate and coordinate on clearance research and advice with DCPI Business Affairs IP legal, Labor Relations, Studio Legal and Business Affairs, and other content partners and rights clearance stakeholders.
- Maintain database of clearance advice, including third-party rights and restrictions, and manage contract lifecycle for related agreements, including third-party permissions and consents.
- Provide training and support to colleagues and clients regarding clearance and rights management.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience handling rights clearance for studio entertainment, publishing, and/or consumer products.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Responsible, professional demeanor and sound judgment.
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues and know when to elevate to attorneys.
- Able to simultaneously handle and prioritize a high volume of work for multiple clients on multiple projects and along parallel work streams.
- Must have strong computer skills, including with office productivity software such as Microsoft Word and Excel and familiarity with IP/asset management software and systems.
- Able to work independently but must also be a team player who collaborates well with business clients and Legal Dept. colleagues.
- BA/BS degree
Company Overview At Corporate, you’ll team with the best in the business to build one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry. Uniquely positioned at the center of an exciting, multi-faceted Company, the forward-thinkers at Disney Corporate constantly pursue new ideas and technologies to help the Company’s many businesses drive value, all the while gaining something valuable from the experience themselves. Come see the most interesting Company from the most interesting point of view. Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.