Associate Principal Counsel - Distribution
The Corporate Legal – Distribution group is responsible for negotiating the distribution of feature films from the Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Disney-Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilms and DreamWorks) and Media Networks content (including shows from ABC Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Channel/Disney Jr., and ABC Family), including distribution through home video, cable, satellite, IPTV, online and mobile platforms, and advising business executives on related legal and policy matters.
This role will primarily provide legal support to The Walt Disney Company’s physical (DVD/Blu-ray) in-home distribution team; additionally, it will work with the digital distribution team, negotiating and closing industry-leading content sale and license agreements. This position will also serve as an advisor and counsel to those teams regarding such agreements, and the overall business related thereto.
- Primarily, negotiate various entertainment-related agreements primarily for the distribution of physical media (e.g., DVD, Blu-ray), including, but not limited to, vendor agreements, rental agreements, purchase orders, videogram licensing agreements, sales and promotional discount agreements, and merchandising agreements with brick & mortar retailers, distributors, and other content licensees.
- Additionally, negotiate distribution agreements with digital licensees for the digital in-home distribution model (e.g., ecopy, electronic home video licenses, video on demand) for The Walt Disney Company movies and TV shows.
- Provide guidance on, and facilitate the implementation of, various business strategies in product distribution for sell-through/rental business models, physical/digital hybrid models, cross lines of business opportunities (e.g., consumer products, games), and other distribution-related initiatives.
- Assistance and enforcement of complex collection efforts for unpaid debts and claims disputes, including discovery, legal research and writing, memoranda preparation, and collection correspondence.
- Support various client groups in North America, including the sales team and related cross-functional areas such as, finance, marketing, operations, credit/collections, in-store supply chain.
- Provide legal advice on substantive areas of law, including, but not limited to, contract, anti-trust, bankruptcy, advertising, consumer protection, and intellectual property (including anti-piracy).
- Minimum 5 years of legal experience.
- Significant transactional experience in the entertainment industry.
- Transactional experience in content distribution for home video, television and/or new media. Preferred experience in transactional work related to the same of home video discs.
- Significant exposure to and understanding of matters relating to intellectual property and antitrust.
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Admission to California State Bar Association or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.