Film Archive Internship, LucasFilm - Summer 2018
The Lucasfilm Archive is home of over 100,000 moving image items that span the entire existence of Lucasfilm Ltd. In order to preserve the material for future generations an Asset Rehousing and Cataloging Project is currently underway. A summer intern would be responsible for assisting in this project. Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, rehousing film elements into new archival storage, identifying film elements from productions such as “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones”, vinegar testing acetate material, and updating cataloging records. Our intern can expect to gain experience in the everyday workings of a major film archive and develop skills in how to properly handle and inspect film and video material.
Housed on beautiful Skywalker Ranch, the Lucasfilm Archive is home of the audiovisual material for such legendary films as the Star Wars Trilogy and the Indiana Jones Saga. The Archive is responsible for collecting, cataloging, and maintaining the creative endeavors of Lucasfilm, as well as supporting current business needs in a studio post production pipeline.
- Creating lists of inventoried collections
- Collection research utilizing in-house dataset and outside sources
- Inspection, inventory, and cataloging of archival materials
- General support for department activities related to preservation
- Basic film handling skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities.
- Strong time management skills; Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Proven ability to work autonomously and in team settings with a positive, pro-active attitude.
- Experience identifying film elements
- Knowledge of common cataloging standards
- Interested in a studio archive or film preservation profession, and work well as part of a team.
Candidates must currently be pursuing a Bachelors (or similar) degree OR have graduated from such a program within the past 6 months.
Preferred Education The Lucasfilm Archive seeks a student intern interested in Film Archives, Library Science or Museum studies. Additional Information
- Must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) to participate in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work (position located in Marin County, Ca)
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)