Asset Technical Assistant (Project Hire)
Lucasfilm Animation and creators of the Emmy award winning animation series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and the highly successful animation series “Star Wars: Rebels” are looking for a versatile Production Coordinator to join their production team.
The primary role of the Asset Technical Assistant is to assist the Digital Asset Supervisor for the planning, creation, evaluation and distribution of high quality digital assets for use within company projects. The Asset Technical Assistant will be responsible for a wide variety of the preparatory, planning and review stages of asset development to ensure a high level of productivity is maintained from interpretation of 2D design through final lighting. This work is to support efficient asset production and successful asset sharing between studios and vendors associated with the company projects. ResponsibilitiesAsset Pipeline Support
- Render final delivered assets to confirm the file matches the images approved in dailies.
- Review final delivered assets to ensure they meet the show asset specification and adherence to basic best practices.
- Produce documentation, imagery and supporting text to communicate asset quality issues that require remediation during the asset build process.
Asset Builds and Maintenance for Story Department Needs
- Assist the Digital Asset Supervisor in optimization and structuring of Maya source files received from the vendor so they can be delivered to the Story team for use in ZViz.
- Create proxy character rigs for use by the Story team.
- Create and maintain proper SG and OBJ files for use by the Story team from the files sourced from Design and outside vendors.
- Aid in ensuring parity between assets used in Story and those being built by the vendors.
- Problem-solve and fix technical asset issues in SG/OBJ files used by the Story team.
Additional Asset Department Support
- Prepare episodic asset bid templates in Excel.
- Prepare supporting imagery of assets for use in the Story Kickoff meetings.
- Attend asset kick-off meetings with overseas vendors as requested.
Preferred QualificationsRequired Skills / Competencies:
- Demonstrated proficiency in Maya and strong understanding of standard CG asset building methodologies.
- Solid modeling, texturing and rigging experience.
- Proficiency in Linux.
- Experience with industry standard 3D and animation software/tools.
- Strong sense of asset development, aesthetics and functionality.
- Proven experience working in an established production pipeline.
- Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient troubleshooter.
- Able to create detailed documentation explaining issues related to asset quality.
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Good communication skills, able to communicate in a professional and friendly manner with co-workers.
- Self-starter, energetic, and able to prioritize workload.
- Team player that strives to maximize team and department performance.
- Detail oriented, highly organized and able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner.
Preferred Education Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related Art and Design field including Architecture, Industrial Design, Digital Media or equivalent professional experience.
- 1-2 years in animation, visual effects or video game production with emphasis on creation of 3D models for CG animation.
Company Overview Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.