Ranch Manager, Operations
For more than 60 years the Golden Oak Ranch has offered a unique filming experience with endless possibilities and the standards associated with the Disney name.
The operations manager must be able to handle frequently and abruptly changing schedules, extremes in weather and working conditions, crisis situations while maintaining a positive professional demeanor while moving through the routine tasks of the position. An ability to interface with challenging personalities without taking offense is a must. Managing Ranch staff and production crews in a positive manner while upholding Ranch policies is an ever present responsibility. A solid knowledge of plant science and soil science with an ability to teach this knowledge to the rest of the team is the backbone of this position. Responsibilities
- Overall Management
- Maintain a culture of safety that is meaningful and appropriate to the Ranch.
- Support the Senior Manager with management of the Ranch with a specialized focus on agriculture.
- Determine seed types, tree types, planting schedules
- Long term strategies
- Understand and manage the Ranch’s hydrology
- Understand, design, maintain and manage the Ranch’s hydrological needs within the constraints of governmental guidelines and long term needs.
- Understand and maintain a high pressure hydrologic system in a non-typical setting.
- Be able to quickly assess and repair system failures and employee preventative measures in the repairs.
- Understand the needs of production while managing operations to create a seamless interface between these two areas of management.
- Understand the environment and interface in such a manner that protects the Ranch’s environmental stance.
- Able to understand and support the Ranch’s wildlife
- Ability to operate in a low impact manner as it relates to the environment
- Support the team:
- Ability to respond to and safely manage crisis such as fires, floods, trespassers, vehicle collisions and medical aid situations while providing calm leadership.
- Conduct tours and be able to clearly and passionately convey the Ranch’s operational premises’ in a manner consistent with Company policy.
- Defuse and positively channel team conflicts to a positive direction.
- Land Management
- Understand and comply with regulatory land use guidelines.
- Understand and comply with the concepts of grading and drainage.
- Understand irrigations types, theories and practices on a deep water well supported system.
- Have a comfort level with wildlife including and types of indigenous snakes.
- Maintain and advance soil conservation efforts.
- Maintain and advance forestry needs both for the environment and production.
- Understand all type of farm equipment and tools and teach the safe usage of each including maintenance.
- Help determine and support long term land use policies.
- Oversee maintenance of roads, bridges, structures, set and utilities.
- Be able to determine risk assessment through common sense, life experience and training.
- Pest Control
- Identification of pests
- Control of pest with California and US Departments of Agriculture guidelines
- Long term pest control strategies
- Focus on techniques with minimal environmental impacts
- Team training
- Record keeping
- Continuing education
- Be able to confidently speak to groups of any size related to operations.
- Become familiar with an accurate Ranch History and its influence on daily operations.
- Learn community leaders in county and city government and local causes such as the Sierra Club and Scope.
- Conduct tours that convey Ranch operations in a honest, positive light.
- Be able to show a true understanding of Ranch operations to senior staff within our Company.
- Maintain the Ranch’s community support initiatives.
- Other duties and tasks that might arise not covered in this outline
- 2 years experience in a related field
- 60 WPM minimum
- Word, Excel and Outlook proficient
- Exposure to and understanding of autocad
- Valid California Drivers’ License
- Firefighting experience
- Farming experience with irrigated crops or Forestry Conservation
- CPR trained
- Class A CDL
- BS in Agriculture, Land Management, Agronomy, Environmental Science, Forestry or Plant Science related field.
Additional InformationThis position is with Golden Oak Ranch Prop, an equal opportunity employer