Manager, Product Development
Disney Theatrical Production (DTP) operates under the direction of Thomas Schumacher and is among the world’s most successful commercial theatre enterprises, bringing live entertainment events to a global annual audience of more than 19 million people in more than 50 countries. Under the Disney Theatrical Productions banner, the group produces and licenses Broadway productions around the world, including Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Elton John & Tim Rice’s Aida, TARZAN®, Mary Poppins, a co-production with Cameron Mackintosh, The Little Mermaid, Peter and the Starcatcher, Newsies, and Aladdin. Frozen, based on the Academy Award®-winning film, will open on Broadway in 2018. Other successful stage musical ventures have included the Olivier-nominated London hit Shakespeare in Love, stage productions of Disney’s High School Musical, Der Glöckner Von Notre Dame in Berlin, and King David in concert. DTP has collaborated with the country’s leading regional theatres to develop new stage titles including The Jungle Book, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Freaky Friday.
Disney Theatrical Productions also delivers live shows globally through its license to Feld Entertainment, producer of Disney on Ice and Disney Live! For over 30 years, Disney on Ice and Disney Live! have brought beloved Disney stories and characters annually to over 12 million guests in nearly 50 countries worldwide, through productions such as Marvel Universe Live! and Frozen, the most well attended and highest grossing Disney on Ice production to date. In addition, DTP licenses musical titles for local, school and community theatre productions through Music Theatre International, including The Lion King Experience, a unique holistic arts education program wherein accredited elementary and middle schools produce condensed, age-appropriate JR. and KIDS adaptations of The Lion King.
The Manager, Product Development develops and manage the merchandise assortments for self-produced and licensed merchandise businesses. This role partners closely with the Retail Operations and Finance teams to optimize revenue for the overall Merchandise business both domestically and internationally. This individual will report to the VP, Merchandise and Licensed Brands.
- Develop and maintain cohesive merchandise assortment as it relates to theatrical productions.
- In partnership with Finance and other key stakeholders, consistently evaluate assortments for best and worst sellers and create action plans to move the business forward, via new additions, markdowns, promotions etc.
- Manage time and action calendar for product development process to include sampling, safety testing, production and shipping lead times to ensure proper and timely delivery of shipments.
- Communicate sampling, production and shipment status to support established launch dates.
- Work with key strategic partners to identify business opportunities.
- Execute assortment plans based on business analysis, store and customer profile, inventory/space considerations and co branding projects
- Perform quarterly style out meeting; highlighting, results, risks and opportunities
- Partner with the merchandise team to maximize merchandise sales at store locations
- Support the vendors relationships by resolving routine issues and ensuring vendor alignment with Disney processes and procedure, including safety testing and shipping procedures
- Communicate with other Disney merchandise division for ongoing education of sales, trends and synergy opportunities.
- Attend gift and apparel trade shows to keep abreast of industry trends, shop retail for new product categories, new ideas and licensing opportunities
- Complete all PRR forms for product safety testing
- Oversee new business opportunities and build beyond existing customer base, adhering to brand standards
- Responsible for defining business needs and improving workflow and tools to maximize sales potential
- 3+ years of experience in Merchandising and Sales Proficient in Photoshop
- Strong Presentation Skills Knowledge of International Shipping procedures
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong negotiation skills
- Candidate must have requisite skills to communicate effectively with all levels of management, including executives at highest levels, and must be comfortable working both independently and as part of a team.
Additional InformationThis position is with BV Theatrical Group Ltd., an equal opportunity employer
We welcome your comments and questions about this Manager, Product Development opportunity at Disney.