Marvel Entertainment is hiring a senior DevOps Engineer to join our Infrastructure & Operations team. In this role, you’ll report to the Director of Architecture & Security and will work across a variety of sysadmin functions supporting the internet-facing aspects of Marvel’s successful online businesses. The ideal candidate will assist in formulating infrastructure strategy, selecting vendors, developing monitoring and reporting standards and managing vendor relationships – all while keeping a laser-like focus on costs and security.
You will be responsible for availability, scalability, and risk mitigation while working closely with a creative and canny product team on web and mobile products used by millions of users. You will give technical input during infrastructure redesigns and aid the group in adopting new technologies and methodologies. This position is responsible for maintaining security controls and conducting vulnerability assessments against web applications and server infrastructure.
As part of Marvel Entertainment’s Infrastructure & Operations team, you will be charged with maintaining and improving our security profile for thousands of sites and services involved in delivering engaging and robust user experiences.
We are looking for a passionate and experience sysadmin who thinks logically, acts rationally and understands the challenges of supporting current and emerging technology stacks that enable Marvel to continue to grow our universe of characters and the multi-media, multi-lingual, multi-platform infrastructure on which they reside.
This is an on-site position in Marvel’s NYC office for a 6 month contract. Candidates must be legally permitted to work in the United States. Responsibilities
- Work alongside a talented team of colleagues and quintessentially creative individuals who are building next-generation mobile, web and back-end applications and services
- Develop and design tools to instrument and alert on problems and on-going projects
- Own availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency for the team's services
- Manage relationships with 3rd party infrastructure partners
- Deploy and maintain automated scanning of various Marvel properties, including validating findings and driving remediation
- 1st point of contact for in-house development team to accommodate requests
- Support of web and mobile applications maintaining uptime while fielding escalations as part of on-call rotation
- Responsible for the architecture, deployment, and support of a Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment strategy for the Digital Media and Interactive teams
- Ability to deftly and clearly communicate with the technology team and to non-technical members of the organization
- Design strategies for security monitoring of new and existing systems Ability to deftly and clearly communicate with the technology team and to non-technical members of the organization
- Mentor junior colleagues and encourage their growth and knowledge of infrastructure
- Extensive experience managing Linux application servers (RHEL, Ubuntu, CentOS)
- Experience with fluid virtual infrastructures (VMware, AWS, OpenStack)
- Extensive knowledge of LAMP infrastructures including bash/shell scripting
- Solid understanding of networking, storage and sysadmin best practices
- Working experience with SVN/GIT alongside Agile development processes
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong understanding of performance metrics from stress/load tests
- Demonstrated experience securing high-traffic properties (cloud and on-prem)
- Creative, strategic and critical thinker with a high attention to detail
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency
- Experience with Ansible, Chef, Puppet and/or Jenkins
- Scripting and programming languages (PHP, Ruby, PorwerShell, Golang)
- Track record of delivering hardened, fault-tolerant, high-availability designs
- Lazy enough to automate tasks, smart enough to document them well (L7 diagrams)
- Cool-headed in a crisis and instill confidence in those around you while solving problems
Required Education Bachelor’s degree required, security certifications not required so long as you are qualified. Company Overview Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.