Staff Software Engineer
The Walt Disney Studios is comprised of large team of creative professionals who produce and acquire live-action and animated motion pictures, direct-to-video content, musical recordings and live stage plays that tell memorable, life changing stories. Few media and entertainment companies can rival the brands we have the honor of bringing to the world.
As part of the Studio’s Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry.
We are looking for a self-starting engineer who wants to shape the next generation of video consumption applications on the Web. We’re a casual shop that values passion, community involvement and code that stands out. If you are interested, we’d love to hear from you.
You will be working in a small team of multi-disciplined engineers on creating the next generation video consumption platforms. We expect you to be up to date on the happenings in the JVM-based server community, passionate about what you do and connected to the open source community. You will participate in overall system design, come up with web-tailored solutions that emphasize re-use and good design patterns.
- Define, architect and build high-quality software solutions
- Collaborate with other software engineers and cross-functional teams
- Evangelize technologies, solutions, and best practices
- Contribute new ideas to a larger community of high-caliber professionals
- Balance resources, requirements, and complexity
- Interface with various outside entities for work on integration points
- Help more junior engineers grow and mentor them technically
- Very passionate about coding (If you have a Github profile, that’s awesome! Would love to check it out! Otherwise we will ask you to code before or during the interview).
- Very passionate about OO design and aware of the different layers that exist in a system (we will ask you to design a system during the interview).
- Capable of leveraging basic Data structures and algorithms to solve problems (i.e. Knows basic CS fundamentals, nothing crazy, just enough to make good decisions).
- Interested in technologies such as Haskell, Scala, etc.
- Interested in learning new languages such as NodeJS, Python, etc.
- A master of:
- Spring (or another DI platform)
- Developing REST APIs
- Unit tests
- Integration & Load testing for APIs
- Maven or Gradle
- ORM (e.g JPA, Hibernate)
- Using Docker for deployment
- Experience or strong interest in NodeJS
- GraphQL knowledge
- Worked with DynamoDB or RDS
- Familiar with Kafka
- Familiar with Apache Tinkerpop
- Familiar with Kubernetes
- BS in Computer Science or related field with 10+ years of experience
The Walt Disney Studios encompasses the creation, production, promotion, sales, acquisition and domestic and international distribution of live-action and animated motion pictures, home entertainment releases, live stage plays, and music and soundtrack recordings. From movie concept to film production, and global premieres to direct to consumer mobile applications, Studio Technology innovates and delivers solutions that support a studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations. As part of the Studio’s Technology team you’ll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive innovation.
Additional InformationThis position is with The Walt Disney Studios