Senior Paralegal (The Walt Disney Studios)
At The Walt Disney Studios, you’ll help bring compelling stories to life through film, music and live entertainment.
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures (WDSMP) seeks a Senior Paralegal to support the Legal Affairs team with respect to motion picture development and production. This position requires the ability to draft, review and negotiate contracts, and provide general legal and administrative support to WDSMP with particular emphasis on: (1) motion picture development matters including contracts, rights research, policy, intellectual property, and compliance, working closely with legal affairs counsel; (2) motion picture production matters including drafting and negotiating motion picture contracts for locations, leases and equipment under supervision of the project attorney, reviewing and negotiating third party terms and conditions, purchase orders and credit applications, providing counsel and assistance to production teams on matters relating to use of motion picture production forms and legal policies; and (3) preparing summaries and reports, assisting with data entry and maintaining files and databases, and assisting the team with other special projects as may be necessary from time to time. Responsibilities
- Draft, review and negotiate professional services agreements, license agreements and other legal documents as requested by project attorneys.
- Draft, review and negotiate location agreements, leases, equipment rental and other vendor agreements for production of motion pictures under supervision of project attorney.
- Prepare legal correspondence at the direction of project attorney, including termination letters, pre-emption letters, extensions and amendments.
- Review agreements and prepare summaries of rights, obligations and related matters.
- Create and manage library of form agreements, negotiated language and legal memos.
- Respond to legal inquiries; raise and escalate legal issues as necessary. Work closely with project attorney and production team on risk management, safety and legal issues arising in the course of motion picture development and production.
- Assist project attorney in preparation of approvals and restrictions memos for each motion picture production.
- Assist in creation of and maintenance of technological solutions for improved flow of information relating to film development and production, including data entry and maintenance of databases. Track and prepare reports relating to: (a) status of projects and (b) legal claims.
- Coordinate execution and distribution of approved documents.
- Compare and proofread agreements and related materials.
- Assist in department trainings and legal presentations.
- Perform special projects and other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Such additional, alternative, removed or changed responsibilities as may be directed from time-to-time by a supervisor, without advance notice.
- Minimum of four years of experience in contract negotiation.
- Strong PC skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Familiarity with Intradoc a plus.
- Fluent in English.
- Interact well with all levels of personnel with ability to communicate clearly.
- Must be willing to take “ownership” of projects and think proactively.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and work through projects with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to be flexible in all work situations.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
- Must have superior organizational skills with the ability to prioritize high-volume work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and organizational skills.
- Must be detail oriented, with accurate input and proofing skills.
- Must be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced, demanding environment while effectively meeting deadlines.
- Familiarity with technology-related issues preferred.
- Self starter with ability to multi-task, excellent work ethic and commitment to managing assignments with professionalism and integrity.
- Experience with entertainment production and motion picture industry preferred.
- Paralegal certificate or equivalent experience in a law firm or media company preferred.
It’s the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It’s hard to define and even harder to create, but that’s what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you. Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Studios, an equal opportunity employer.