Homepage Editor ESPN - Freelance
We are looking for an experienced candidate to fill the position of Homepage Editor for ESPN on a freelance contract, based in Hammersmith London.
The role of the Homepage Editor will be to curate the ESPN homepage and sport indexes, both in the UK and around the world. They will make sure that the best available content is displayed in the most impactful way. As part of a Global Programming Team the successful candidate will use real-time data and editorial judgement to make informed decisions on the positioning and sell of content, making sure to highlight premium ESPN content accordingly.
A sound knowledge of global sport is important in this role, but even more crucial will be knowing what content appeals to our audience in the UK and our Editions globally. The successful candidate will have a strong editorial background and be able to demonstrate their talent in editing sport websites. They will also be familiar with analytical editorial tools such as Chartbeat and appreciate the importance of staying abreast of the major talking points in sport and generating a constant stream of content ideas. Responsibilities
- To increase the consumption of editorial and video content on the ESPN website and app
- Enhance the quality, presentation and amplification of ESPN homepages and indexes
- Recognise and best sell news and content that will stand out in a competitive marketplace
- Work in tandem with ESPN programming teams in Australia, India and US as part of the Global Programming Team
- Proven experience of operating web production processes and workflows
- A knowledge of online publishing and editing tools, social media networks, analytical tools and traffic measurement programmes (Chartbeat and Omniture)
- Excellent editing skills – in particular headline writing and image selection/presentation
- Strong copy writing and subbing skills
- A knowledge of ESPN’s digital properties
- A good understanding of current industry trends
- Spanish, French, German or Italian language skills a definite advantage
As part of The Walt Disney Company since 1995, ESPN has been in the United Kingdom since 2001. We have continued to grow our brand presence since 2008 and have become an important brand within the minds of sports fans and in the wider Disney organisation. As a leader in multimedia sports entertainment with over 50 business assets, we televise 65 sports in more than a dozen languages on all seven continents.
At ESPN, success has no bias. It’s contagious. If you’ve got what it takes, it finds you, grabs you, and rumbles the pit of your stomach. Here is a culture that breeds talent. An assembly of premier performances, out-of-this-world technology and challenges that push the boundaries of your skills. It generates confidence, pride, and the will to do better and better. That’s why we’re pioneers in the sports entertainment world – and why you’ll enjoy the thrill of your accomplishments Additional Information
- Must be comfortable working weekends, late nights and flexible hours