Sr. Android Developer
In the Digital Media Technology team at the Disney|ABC Television Group we build high-traffic, over-the-top applications and services for a variety of mobile, desktop, and streaming media platforms. Our Technology team is responsible for development of the Emmy Award-winning ABC Player, the Emmy Award-winning 83rd Academy Awards Backstage Pass app for iPhone and iPad, as well as the Disney and ABC streaming apps on a multitude of platforms.
The Sr. Android Developer will collaborate with the Digital Media Technology Team to develop, test, and deploy mobile and streaming device libraries and applications that give millions of viewers access to Disney|ABC video content.
The environment is fast-paced and the goals are demanding, but the projects are unique, the work is rewarding, and the team likes to have fun. Our ideal candidate is creative, energetic, deeply knowledgeable about the latest mobile and video technologies, and has a passion for demonstrating skill, precision, and quality in his/her work.
- Work with a team to design and implement native and web libraries and applications for desktop, mobile and streaming media devices
- Write efficient, reliable, and maintainable code, whether implementing architectural improvements, user-facing features, or fixing defects
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues, problems, and errors encountered across our various platforms
- Analyze and optimize application code for efficiency, reliability and performance
- Understand product architecture, assisting the Software Architects as necessary
- Manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Work with minimal technical supervision and supplemental engineering support
- Embrace a highly collaborative team that rewards quality code and effective communication
- Operate as a resource to less experienced Software Engineers, providing an open learning environment for cross-team knowledge sharing
- Mentor Associate Software Engineers and Software Engineers
- Stay current with the latest development best practices
- Lead design and code reviews
- Provide a focus on repeatable processes and process improvement
- Expert in object-oriented software development
- Demonstrated ability in developing complex Android applications in Kotlin
- Experience with and solid understanding of multithreaded programming
- Fundamentally sound with design patterns
- Ability to collaborate in a small, productive development team as well as ability to work independently
- Experience with unit test frameworks and continuous integration systems
- Expert in software engineering best practices
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- Proficient at documenting engineering solutions
- Knowledge of JSON, XML, REST
- Knowledge of UI/UX best practices
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices
- Knowledge of security best practices
- Experience with TDD or BDD development
- Experience with video technologies such as encoding formats, closed-captions, adaptive streaming, and digital rights management
- Experience with IAB video advertising standards
- Experience with analytics collection and data engineering
- Experience with federated or single-sign-on authentication systems such as Adobe Primetime and Apple SSO
- Experience with Unity game engine development or integration
Disney|ABC Television Group’s Digital Media team is leading the digital television revolution. With a diverse portfolio of broadcast and cable networks, including ABC Entertainment, ABC News, ABC Daytime, Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior, team activities include product development, marketing and operations for the Group’s digital media content platforms. The team has been at the forefront of many of the industry’s pioneering technical innovations, from being the first network to offer full episodes on iTunes in 2005 to the current collection of industry-defining streaming applications. Disney|ABC Television Group was first to provide authenticated users access to both live, 24/7 linear network streams and an extensive offering of advantaged-window, on-demand episodes on desktops, streaming media devices, smartphones and tablets. The team frequently partners with major technology companies like Apple, Google, and Amazon to bring new, advanced capabilities to the digital television market.
Additional InformationEqual Opportunity Employer Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
We welcome your comments and questions about this Sr. Android Developer opportunity at Disney.