Disney|ABC Television Group (DATG) is one of today's premier media entertainment companies, combining high-quality content with the strategic use of technology to deliver compelling news and entertainment experiences to hundreds of millions of people around the world. This business segment of The Walt Disney Company is comprised of global entertainment and news television properties, the owned television stations group and radio. Our employees are leading, creating, and innovating, making bold moves in unexpected directions that redefine not just what a media company does, but what it can do. With Disney|ABC Television Group, you can be part of media's evolution, helping us create what's next.
This role is a part of the Software Engineering team within the Disney|ABC Television Group - Media IT organization. We strive to be a diverse team, passionate about great technology applied creatively to solve complex business problems. We are a motivated team that is committed to lifelong learning and improving, both in and out of the office. We strive to be flexible and adaptable to change both in how we execute projects and in the technologies we use to deliver our solutions. We care about the details because every pixel, every line of code and every user interaction with our products determines whether we are delivering on our commitment to producing the very best products possible. You’ll be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions. We work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team.
We often include our users as part of our team and we work to connect with them on a human level, understanding their world, so we can deliver software that they love to use.
We want someone that is hands on and versatile in developing UX/product prototypes – 4-6 years’ experience in designing and building highly usable, intuitive and beautiful web experiences. This is a highly creative, detail oriented role will also be responsible for front end web design and rapid prototyping. Beyond a strong eye for pixel perfect design, the Product Designer will need to be completely comfortable working independently and collaboratively to turn a set of loosely described user requirements into a fully interactive and functional user experience.
We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, creative who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A collaborative, creative technologist who seeks to bring the best out in themselves and those around them. Someone who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
- Combine your aesthetic and technical knowledge with your strong communication skills as you work directly with business users to reimagine business processes and conduct in-person exercises with stakeholders and end users to elicit requirements.
- Hold a strong vision for your products, and be ready at any moment to persuasively cast your vision to any audience, at any level.
- Innovate on what is possible from a product perspective, while understanding what is technically feasible.
- Understand the delicate balance of educating and influencing Product Owners toward your vision, while also drawing from emotional intelligence and empathy to understand their individual and organizational constraints.
- Have a manacle attention to detail: be relentless in every pixel being perfectly placed, both in design and implementation.
- Take a high ownership, self-sufficient, hands-on position on the team to lead and drive quality in the UI and UX aspects of multiple products/projects simultaneously while meeting aggressive timelines
- Ensure that the product development team is working on the most valuable features on a sprint-by-sprint basis as you take an active “sprint ahead” approach to validating product UX, designs, and prototypes
- Be intimately familiar with your sprint backlogs and partner with Product Owners, Scrum Masters, and Tech Leads to ensure that every user story meets the “Definition of Ready” in advance of every sprint: UI/UX designs are complete, validated by users, and proper documentation and artifacts are attached to each user story
- Participate in UI/UX reviews: pair and collaborate with software engineers at all levels to ensure that the final product reflects the desired user experience
- Adhere to and drive user experience best practices and process as defined by this role and other UX and UI leaders
- 4-6 years of experience in combined web application design and development / prototyping experience.
- Ability to manage your own work and deliverables in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Have a good understanding of at least one major JS framework preferably ReactJS/Redux/NodeJS
- Be able to produce high fidelity design comps in Sketch, produce interactive prototypes using InVision, Framer.js, or similar prototyping tools.
- Be a perfectionist who makes sure every pixel is in the right place
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have proven experience of presenting and pitching designs to stakeholders at all levels: C Level and project team members alike
- Be able to provide a strong and diverse portfolio that provides samples of work, preferably as a public URL
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
- Experience working in a cross-functional organization to deliver high quality results
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, HCI, design, fine arts or demonstrate equivalent real-world experience
The Disney/ABC Television Group is composed of the Walt Disney Company’s (NYSE: DIS) global entertainment and news television properties, owned television stations group, as well as radio and publishing businesses. This includes the ABC Television Network, ABC Owned Television Stations Group, ABC News, ABC Studios, Disney Channels Worldwide, ABC Family, Radio Disney, as well as Disney/ABC Domestic Television and Disney Media Distribution. The company’s equity interest in A&E Television Networks round out the Group’s portfolio of media businesses.
Additional InformationEqual Opportunity Employer- Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability