Android Engineer - Software Engineer I
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The ESPN Mobile Engineering team develops some of the most downloaded and successful Android sports apps, including the ESPN app, WatchESPN, Tournament Challenge, and many others.
In this role, you will work with a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Web Developers, and Content Creators to conceptualize and develop world-class ESPN apps. Based on your experience, you will apply technical expertise to manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables and will be responsible to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
This is a hands-on engineering position in Java, Android SDK, device capabilities, and Android OS variations. You will architect reusable solutions that are shared across all ESPN apps.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Java, Android, technology, apps, and sports. Responsibilities
- Development of new and existing ESPN apps for the Android platform from conceptualization to launch
- Development of quality code using cutting-edge techniques, tools, and utilities
- Guide decisions on architecture and technical strategy
- Research, test, and implement new techniques, frameworks, and utilities
- Define development/design standards and best practices
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define new product requirements, features, and functionality
- Keep abreast of industry trends and technologies, and be prepared to apply them quickly
- Up to 1 year hands-on professional development experience with Android on all OS versions
- Experience working a significant consumer app that is currently available in marketplace
- Solid understanding of data models and data access architecture and optimization
- Strong understanding of multi-tier web architectures, and OO design patterns and concepts
- Strong understanding of server side software, scalability, performance, and reliability
- A sound understanding of HTTP and REST-style web services
- Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills
- Deep technical knowledge of mobile application development
- Experience with messaging related technologies like GCM, SMS, MMS, XMPP, SMTP
- Experience with embedded local storage solutions such as SQLite
- Experience with image manipulation and animation, including techniques like alpha blending
- Demonstrated ability to design and build dynamic multi-threaded mobile apps.
- Solid understanding of Android app development life cycle including Google Play and Amazon App Store compliance policies and submissions requirements
- Experience with GitHub or similar version control tools
- Experience with Android build management and provisioning
- Experience with agile software development practices, including scrum, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc.
- Experience with TestFlight or similar app distribution platforms
- Experience with Android performance tuning and crash reporting applications
- Experience evaluating and integrating 3rd party APIs, including SDKs for social networks, advertising, and analytics
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team-oriented, test-driven collaborative and iterative programming environment
- Experience with iOS application development is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related technical discipline or its equivalent.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Additional InformationESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.