Sr Interaction Designer
“We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Disney Parks & Resorts Digital (DPRD), a division of the Walt Disney Company, creates world-class immersive online & mobile experiences for premier vacation brands including Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line and Disney Vacation Club. DPRD has offices in Los Angeles, Seattle, Hong Kong and Orlando where we design and develop results-driven websites and mobile applications.
Reporting to the Associate User Experience Director, the Senior Interaction Designer is responsible for contributing to the design of outstanding digital products and experiences with internal and external creative resources. This role works hand in hand with the Digital Designer as two halves of a design team.
The Senior Interaction Designer will be expected to develop designs with a “show, don’t tell” mindset by executing on the vision and project, as well as articulate and justify design decisions. Senior Interaction Designers spend the bulk of their time creating interactions, architecture, prototypes, flows, ux diagrams, etc. while also participating in scoping and estimation discussions.
ResponsibilitiesThe Senior Interaction Designer is an extremely detail oriented problem solver that is organized, making/doing oriented, and extremely collaborative. They must also be passionate, positive and able to sort through complex issues so our Guests don’t have to.
- Create detailed navigation flows, wireframes and interactions, journey maps and prototypes that are Guest centric.
- Partner with Visual Designer to design brilliant digital experiences
- Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative research to inform and validate design decisions
- Contribute to project requirements by reconciling User, Business and Technical needs
- Mentor junior Interaction Designers
- Be organized and knowledgeable on project and product details
- Deliver results with great emphasis on quality and timelines
- Proactively look for opportunities for reuse. Adhere to the interaction style guide and interaction uniformity within and across projects.
- Present design work to leadership
- Raises the standard by implementing new interaction design approaches and design templates
- Participate in multi-disciplinary project teams, often acting as a liaison between the Design, Technology and Product Management teams.
Basic QualificationsThe candidate should have 5+ years’ experience in Interaction Design, Information Architecture or User Experience positions working for significant brands in-house or on the agency side…but ideally both.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Experience designing branded e-commerce and transactional experiences
- Proven success designing mobile experiences (both native app – iOS and Android, emerging technologies and responsive/adaptive design in browser)
- Strong proficiency with interaction design/ux principles and skills creating design deliverables including IA documentation, journey maps, rapid prototyping, site maps, concept diagrams, user scenarios, wireframes, flows, and annotated comps.
- Solid understanding of web and mobile (native) technologies.
- Ability to anticipate and design for user needs by incorporating research, strategy and analytics.
- Ability to create complex, high fidelity prototypes using at least one of the following tools – Framer.js, InVision, Axure.
- Working experience with other design tools like Sketch, Adobe suite, AfterEffects, Omnigraffle etc.
- Strong process orientation and documentation abilities
- A passion for data and the impact of design on the consumer
- Experience in the travel/hospitality industry would be a plus but is not essential
- Ability to work independently, while escalating issues as necessary
- Experience with premium brands
- Portfolio presentation is expected, including URLs or samples that reflect work
- Experience with the agile development methodology and ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment with aggressive development schedules.
- Excellent visual/verbal communicator with strong presentation and storytelling skills (i.e. ability to present to various levels/groups)
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences. Bring your individual talents here and discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
“It takes people to make the dream a reality.” Walt was on to something when he said that, and it continues to ring true today. No matter the stage in your career, being a part of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts means being a part of a team where you help bring innovation to life through unsurpassed products, services and most importantly remarkable experiences. As a Cast Member you are the steward and connection to our legacy and the backbone of our thriving innovations. Join our team and watch your dreams come true.
Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome your comments and questions about this Sr Interaction Designer opportunity at Disney.