Lead Interaction Designer
Disney Parks & Resorts Digital (DPRD), a division of the Walt Disney Company, creates world-class immersive online & mobile experiences for premier vacation brands including Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line and Disney Vacation Club. DPRD has offices in Los Angeles, Seattle, Hong Kong and Orlando where we design and develop results-driven websites and mobile applications.
Reporting to the Associate User Experience Director, the Lead Interaction Designer is responsible for leading the design of outstanding digital products and experiences including integration of digital experiences in the physical environment with internal and external creative resources. This role works hand in hand with the Lead Digital Designer as two halves of the team leading vision and experience design for assigned tracks of work.
The Lead Interaction Designer will be expected to develop designs with a “show, don’t tell” mindset by executing on challenging projects as a design thought leader, present work to executive level stakeholders and represent the creative process at all stages of an engagement. Lead Interaction Designers bring the business strategy to life through Guest centric solutions in interaction design while also providing scoping and estimation ResponsibilitiesThe Lead Interaction Designer is a problem solver that is organized, detailed, making/doing oriented, strategic and extremely collaborative. They must also be passionate, positive and capable of making complex things simple for our Guests.
- Create – and direct the creation of – journey maps, navigation flows, prototypes, wireframes and interactions that are Guest centric and proactively solve for the more complex experiences.
- Partner with Lead Designer to drive the design of brilliant digital experiences
- Identify areas to invent, develop a vision and approach for assigned work, add value by executing on the vision and then proactively present ideas to partners and in design forums
- Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative research to inform and validate design decisions
- Contribute to project requirements by reconciling User, Business and Technical needs
- Be organized and knowledgeable on project and product details
- Have and express a clear point of view and raise the bar on quality of design for those areas
- Present and “sell” design work to leadership
- Deliver results with great emphasis on quality and timelines
- Direct internal design teams and external partners
- Mentor junior Interaction Designers
- Provide training situations to share discipline and tool expertise
- Views challenges and uncertainty as opportunities
- Raises the standard by implementing new interaction design approaches, design templates and processes
- Sets the bar for solving problems quickly, multi-tasking and keeping things moving
Basic QualificationsThe candidate should have 7+ years’ experience in Interaction Design, Information Architecture or User Experience positions working for significant brands in-house or on the agency side…but ideally both.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Proven success designing branded e-commerce and transactional experiences
- Proven success designing mobile experiences (both native app – iOS and Android, emerging technologies and responsive/adaptive design in browser)
- Solid understanding of web and mobile (native) technologies
- Phenomenal ability to anticipate and design for user needs by incorporating research, strategy and analytics.
- A strong ability to visualize design thinking via sketches, prototypes, infographics, wireframes
- Ability to create complex, high fidelity prototypes using at least one of the following tools – Framer.js, InVision, Axure and working experience with other design tools like Sketch, Adobe suite, AfterEffects, Omnigraffle etc.
- Mastery of interaction design/ux principles and deliverables including IA documentation, journey maps, rapid prototyping, site maps, concept diagrams, user scenarios, wireframes, flows, and annotated comps.
- Strong process orientation and documentation abilities
- A passion for data and the impact of design on the consumer
- Experience dealing effectively with non-creative decision makers
- Experience in the travel/hospitality industry would be a plus but is not essential
- Experience with premium brands
- Ability to work independently, while escalating issues as necessary
- Portfolio presentation is expected, including URLs or samples that reflect work
- Experience with the agile development methodology and ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment with aggressive development schedules.
- Excellent visual/verbal communicator with strong presentation and storytelling skills (i.e. ability to present to various levels/groups)
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences. Bring your individual talents here and discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
“It takes people to make the dream a reality.” Walt was on to something when he said that, and it continues to ring true today. No matter the stage in your career, being a part of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts means being a part of a team where you help bring innovation to life through unsurpassed products, services and most importantly remarkable experiences. As a Cast Member, you are the steward and connection to our legacy and the backbone of our thriving innovations. Join our team and watch your dreams come true. Additional Information©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.
We welcome your comments and questions about this Lead Interaction Designer opportunity at Disney.