WDI Master Planning GIS Internship - Orlando, FL - Fall 2018
“We Change Lives.” Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
The Master Planning Studio stewards the master planning process, communicates key data and context for planning decisions, and contributes to projects through smart planning advice and support enabling the full development potential for our resorts. The Master Planning studio focuses on five key areas of expertise: Land Planning, Urban & Regional Planning, Transportation & Infrastructure planning, Environmental Planning & Permitting, and Real Estate Development & Entitlements.
What we’re looking for…
An intern who will focus mainly on Geographic Information System (GIS) data management. Additional Master Planning efforts, ranging from Land Planning, Urban & Regional Planning and Transportation & Infrastructure will be a smaller percentage of the efforts for this position.
- Provide design and analysis documentation in the form of graphic illustrations, imagery, boards, color renderings and research and documentation on assigned projects
- Analyze data and prepare GIS maps for land-use planning efforts
- Work in an Enterprise GIS environment creating, editing data, and configuring geodatabases
- Using LiDAR and other information resources, assist in developing a GIS database and inventory of existing WDW Parks & Resorts resources collaborating with the Master Planning Studio
- Coordinate activities that will involve the ability to multi-task and communicate effectively between multiple teams regarding master planning tasks
- Provide master planning and analysis summaries in the form of technical reports, maps, and research on assigned projects
Basic QualificationsWhat you bring to the role…
- Understanding of land planning and urban development concepts
- Experience with Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Knowledge of ESRI software products and understanding of cartographic design, GIS map creation, and feature/attribute editing
- Experience with Autodesk CAD software, with ability to process CAD data for import/export into GIS systems
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in relevant computer software applications, i.e. Microsoft Office (including Excel and PowerPoint), ArcGIS 10.3 and Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), 3D Studio Max, SketchUp, or Revit
- Ability to quickly adapt to a fast-paced work environment, work independently and diligently perform and execute tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to generate, with clarity, correspondence regarding complex issue
- Detail-orientated, and able to quality check documents
- Well-organized in work preparation for self and others, providing a positive work environment to facilitate the completion and execution of work plans and projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communication (please have writing samples available)
- Exceptional visual communication (please have portfolio of GIS maps & work samples available
- Currently Senior or graduate level student or have graduated within the past 6 months
- **Valid Driver’s License required**
- Membership in relevant professional organization(s) such as American Planning Association (APA), National Association of Environmental Professionals (NAEP), Society of Wetland Scientists (SWS), Ecological Society of America (ESA), American Association of Geographers (AAG), Society for Conservation GIS, GIS Certification Institute (GISP), etc.
- Professional experience in Geographic Information Systems, Regional Land and/or Urban Planning/Design and/or Landscape Architecture Firm
- Senior or graduate student from an accredited college/university with advanced studies in Geographic Information Systems, Urban Regional Planning/Design, Landscape Architecture or related field/concentration
The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
Additional InformationMaterials Required:
College transcripts (official or unofficial) - Please upload your transcript while completing the online application
To upload this document:
- Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
- Click the link labeled “Edit Profile Info”
- Click on the “Attachments” Tab
- Be sure your document is in the required title format: FirstName_LastName_Type (i.e. Mickey_Mouse_Transcript)
- Select document type of “Other”
A portfolio review is required for this position. For full consideration, please include a link to your portfolio on your résumé. Applicants without a portfolio link on their résumé, will not be considered a completed application packet and may not be fully considered for the position.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months of the start date of the internship for which you are applying for OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are June 2018 through January 2019 Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description:
Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.