Communication Internship–Disney Internships and Programs- Fall 2018
The Disney Housing Communications team is responsible for the reputation and brand management for Disney College and International Programs. This means telling the great stories of our Program participants and communicating details across both internal and external platforms including company websites, emails and social media. This team also partners with operation teams and global departments within the company in order to find and create compelling content.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit an electronic portfolio and writing sample. Instructions are listed below under the Additional Information section. Please submit this at the time of application.
- Understands Disney Program offerings, can speak knowledgeably about the Program benefits and can communicate participant stories both verbally and in writing to internal and external audiences.
- Supports communication strategies that inspire Cast Members and encourage social engagement and participation.
- Thinks strategically and journalistically for our company by finding and telling compelling stories on our internal Cast publications, weekly emails, and the Walt Disney Company intranet, The Hub.
- Approaches work with a creative eye, finding new and improved ways to reach our audience.
- Assists as Housing Event support, including at events like large outdoor events, Night of Stars Talent Competition and Starlit Splash or Formal.
- Has some experience creating visual communication through the creation of fliers, posters, digital signage and presentations.
- Has some experience in and knowledge of shooting and editing videos
- Is able to manage several social media accounts and write articles that enhance WDW’s reputation as a company known for entertainment, innovation, technology and an employer of choice.
- Prior participation in the Walt Disney World College Program or other Disney experience
- Proficiency with Associated Press writing style including writing, copy-editing and proofreading
- Literacy in Microsoft Office
- Proven experience with social media in a professional setting
- Strong writing and research skills with an understanding of how traditional media and social media works.
- Previous reporting/writing experience with a student or professional publication in print, television or online media
- Experience in video production, including shooting and editing
- Experience with photography for web and print publications.
- Experience interpreting data and information for media tracking purposes.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Keynote, iMovie and After Effects.
- Currently enrolled as a junior or higher, (or recently graduated with) a degree majoring in Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communication, or related field
- 3.0 G.P.A. or higher is required
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from an accredited college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are June 2018 through January 2019. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description:
Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview.
**An electronic online portfolio is required as part of this application process. This portfolio must be included as a URL link listed on your resume, any other portfolio submissions will not be considered.**
Your professional portfolio should showcase the following types of work:
- Writing: Professional writing, storytelling and copy-editing.
- Visual Communication: Photojournalism, videography and graphic design.
- Social Media Examples: Tweets, campaigns, and or Instagram posts.
This position also requires a writing sample in order for you to be considered for this role.Your writing sample topic will be on the subject of our bi-annual Night of Stars Talent Competition, which is an audition-only talent show that features Disney Programs participants on the world-famous House of Blues stage. This link will take you to a video recap about the fall event which should help get you started: https://youtu.be/qXPATJV8IWQ.
Feel free to get creative, but keep in mind the writing samples should reflect your knowledge of the company and the Disney Programs target audience. For this sample, you are marketing this event to College and International program participants who have not heard of the event before.
Your writing sample must consist of:
- A one-paragraph summarization of the event
- One Instagram post – bonus if you are able to explain the visual content you would use to accompany your copy.
- One Tweet – bonus if you are able to explain the visual content you would use to accompany your copy.
To upload your writing sample:
• Log into your dashboard at disneyinterns.com
• Click the link labeled “Edit Profile Info”
• Click on the “Attachments” Tab
• Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_HousingWritingSample
• Select a document type of "Other"
This position also does require you to present a transcript, official or unofficial, to your dashboard.
To upload this document:
• Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
• Click the link labeled “Upload Résumé”
• Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Type (i.e. Mickey_Mouse_Transcripts)
• Select document type of “Other”