Animal Programs - Marine Mammal Internship - Fall 2018
Marine Mammal Internship – Fall 2018
Disney’s Animal Kingdom® and Epcot® Theme Parks
“We make magic.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Be a part of a transformative team and culture…
The Marine Mammal Professional Internship is an entry-level opportunity to assist trainers in the daily care of West Indian manatees and Common Bottlenose dolphins. Interns will use interpretive skills to connect with our guests in promoting marine stewardship (50%) as well as preparing diets and maintaining cleanliness of all areas (50%).
- Narrate science-based studies stressing cognitive inquiry, marine mammal awareness and marine conservation issues in an engaging and informative format
- Prepare daily diets for the marine mammal collection at The Seas with Nemo and Friends.
- Promote a healthy environment through sanitation and cleanliness.
- Build knowledge of behavior, training and record management.
- Contribute to ocean conservation on a global scale.
- Three months of public speaking experience in a zoo, aquarium, museum or nature center setting
- Strong comfort level with public speaking and presenting to large groups of guests
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license
- The ability to operate a company vehicle. Candidate must be willing and able to operate a company vehicle under inclement weather, including minimal lighting.
- SCUBA certification, and possession of a SCUBA certification card, is required at the time of application
- Less than six months experience in a marine mammal setting
- Strong career interest in marine mammal training or husbandry
- Junior, senior or recent college graduate
- Biology, Behavior or related science major
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
Company Overview The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world. Additional Information
Required Materials: Must be attached within 48 hours of application submission:
• Résumé (outlining all of your required qualifications)
• College transcripts (official or unofficial)
* Please attach a copy of your SCUBA Certification Card front and back
OPTIONAL: Attach a cover letter to tell us a bit more about your passion for this field, and how you have cultivated this passion in your field to date to prepare for your future career
To upload these documents:
• Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
• Click the link labeled “edit profile info”
• Click on the "Attachments" Tab
• Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Type (i.e. Mickey_Mouse_Transcripts or Mickey_Mouse_CoverLetter)
• Select document type of “Other”
If you experience any difficulty with uploading documents, please e-mail email@example.com.
• Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must provide full work availability
• Must provide own transportation to/from work
• Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are June 2018 - January 2019. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.