Animal Programs - Animal Nutrition Center Internship - Fall 2018
Animal Nutrition Center Food Preparation and Laboratory Internship – Fall 2018
Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
We make magic.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Be a part of a transformative team and culture…
Make an impact by supporting the health of the animals at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Responsibilities
- Prepare and deliver balanced and enriching diets for our 1500+ animals as you work alongside our nutrition assistants
- Champion food safety to ensure animals receive diets of impeccable quality and nutrition
- Collect and organize dynamic diet data and robust animal health information (blood values, body weights and diet consumption) to assist our nutrition laboratory team
- Utilize in-house laboratory equipment (Near Infrared Reflectance Spectrophotometer, freeze dryer, ovens, grinders, hay corers and bomb calorimeter)
- Engage guests in conversations relating to the importance of nutrition as preventative medicine, conservation and the Animal Nutrition Center mission
- No direct animal contact takes place in this role.
What You Bring to the Role:
- A sincere interest in Animal Nutrition and a desire to continue learning about animal nutrition
- Proven analytical experience organizing and manipulating data in Microsoft Excel including use of averages, standard deviation and graphing functions
- Completion of at least one full semester college level nutrition course
- Strong comfort level utilizing Excel
- Must have a valid US Driver’s License
- Operating a company vehicle is required for this role. The successful candidates must be willing and able to operate a company vehicle under inclement weather, including minimal lighting.
Preferred QualificationsThe Intern’s preferred qualifications include:
- Three months of food preparation and/or animal husbandry experience
- Three months of independent research or paid laboratory experience
- Enrolled as a junior, senior or recent graduate - Or in Masters Program
- Animal Science, Zoology, Biology, Nutrition, Zoo Sciences, Wildlife Biology or related major
- A minimum GPA of 2.7
- A grade point average of 3.0 or higher
Company Overview The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world. Additional Information
• Résumé (outlining all of your required qualifications)
• College transcripts (official or unofficial) - Please ensure your Nutrition Course is reflected in attached transcripts
* Cover Letter describing your passion and interest in working with Animal Nutrition
To upload these documents:
• Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
• Click the link labeled “edit profile info”
• Click on the "Attachments" Tab
• Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Type (i.e. Mickey_Mouse_Transcripts or Mickey_Mouse_CoverLetter)
• Select document type of “Other”
If you experience any difficulty with uploading documents, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must provide full work availability
• Must provide own transportation to/from work
• Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are June 2018 - January 2019. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.