WDI R&D Producer Internship - Glendale, CA - Summer 2018
“We Change Lives.” Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development is the department within WDI that focuses exclusively on the creative application of new technology. At R&D, we use cutting edge technology to tell Disney stories in new and innovative ways. R&D is unique from the rest of WDI in that we develop concepts for more than just the Disney theme parks. We work on a consulting basis with almost every division of the Walt Disney Company, including Pixar Animation Studios, Disney Consumer Products, Disney Interactive Studios, ABC, ESPN, and Corporate New Business Development.
Much of R&D’s process involves rapid iterative prototyping. After we develop an initial concept, we pool the collective talents of artists, designers, engineers, computer programmers, scientists and fabricators to build a real-world prototype. We then test, refine and re-test these prototypes until we believe an idea is ready to transfer to one of our business partners to ultimately be enjoyed by our guests.
What we’re looking for…
A WDI R&D Producer Intern who will partner with various R&D Project Leads to deliver on the vision of next generation ideas, tools, technologies, and experiences that both inspires Imagineers to do the impossible and brings smiles to the faces of millions of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts guests each year. This role combines a strong engineering and technology background with scientific process and proven agile project management abilities to drive innovation.
- Functionally report to the Executive R&D Imagineer, matrixed into projects assigned to support project leads.
- Produce scope, budget, and schedule of R&D projects to achieve the vision of the project lead.
- Support vendor relationships
- Coordinate internal and external play tests
- Support communication plan to team members and project leads
- Schedule and organize meetings/events and maintain agenda Engender internal and external relationships
- Help build positive relations within the team and external parties
- Contribute to the culture and community of the department
Basic QualificationsWhat you bring to the role...
- Experience in a highly technical field
- Waterfall and/or agile project management experience
- Ability to translate high level scope/vision into actionable plans
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Apps
- Ability to interpret executive and project lead vision to engineering
- Able to build and motivate highly effective teams
- Proven ability to clearly communicate the project vision, expectations, and outcomes
- Ability to communicate clear and concise project updates to all levels within organization
- Ability to define scope and move it forward with regular check ins
- Able to manage & prioritize multiple assignments in chaotic/changing environment
- Proven ability to work collaboratively on diverse teams
- Demonstrate a desire to constantly improve and expand personal skills
- Positive/optimistic attitude
- Highly dependable with strong work ethic
- Currently enrolled as a Junior or higher or graduated within the last 6 months from in an accredited college/university, earning a BA/BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Software, or Systems Engineering, or related field
The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
College transcripts (official or unofficial) - Please upload your transcript while completing the online application
To upload this document:
- Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
- Click the link labeled “Edit Profile Info”
- Click on the “Attachments” Tab
- Be sure your document is in the required title format: FirstName_LastName_Type (i.e. Mickey_Mouse_Transcript)
- Select document type of “Other”
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2018 through August/September 2018. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description:
Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.