Software Engineer - Ride Systems
Hurtling through space, diving down a mountain in a log, careening out of control in the jungle… ever imagine engineering these exhilarating adventures for Disney guests around the world? Superhero flight, outdueling a space fighter, cartoon-like motions… how would you pull these off? Are you interested in the challenges of making these reality-defying, emotive experiences work under real world constraints, while providing the illusion of journeys beyond people’s wildest dreams?
Imagine designing and building ride control systems that meet an extremely diverse set of needs to create the most magical and immersive experiences in the world! Envision working in a highly collaborative environment with many talented Imagineers who come from a variety of backgrounds and offer a large number of differing skillsets. Come to the place where Disney theme park ideas are born and brought to life for our many parks and resorts around the globe.
Disney rides set the standard for world class attractions. As Imagineers, we adhere to systems engineering processes and standards to ensure the quality our Guests have come to expect. We are constantly striving for improvement in everything we do.
Occasional relocations to one of our resort area locations in Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Orlando, or “the next great location” offer unique, rewarding, and culturally immersive experiences. Durations typically allow for a continuous 6 months to well over a year at one of these sites where you will be installing, testing, and being amongst the “first riders” of the ride you just helped design, build, and commission.
- Identification of functional requirements, use cases and scenarios
- System definition, modeling, and decomposition
- Analysis of design alternatives and trade-offs
- Interface requirements specification
- Software algorithm definition
- Performance analyses, such as timing and parameter sensitivity analyses
- Hazard analyses including failure modes and mitigations
- Develop and execute detailed test plans and procedures
- Test software using a simulator, including processor-in-the-loop
- Test systems on prototype and production hardware
- Design, implement, and integrate/install software on production hardware in conformance with software standards
- At least 3 years of professional experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong verbal and technical writing skills
- Strong team skills – ability to both lead and follow as necessary
- Rigorous development discipline – adherence to coding standards, development process, etc.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and testing software for electromechanical systems
- Understanding of system-level design considerations – timing analyses, hardware/software tradeoffs, etc.
- Understanding of basic mechanical principles, including rigid body dynamics and pneumatics
- Ability to present technical concepts in a manner understandable by non-technical people
- Knowledge of various electrical circuits and sensor technologies – relays, proximity switches, through-beam circuits, quadrature encoders, etc.
- Knowledge of various actuator technologies – motors, drives, solenoids, pneumatic valves, etc.
- Software/system modeling methodologies such as UML/SysML
- Understanding of communication technologies/protocols: TCP/IP, CAN, serial, etc.
- Control system theory experience (closed-loop control)
- Electrical troubleshooting skills (voltmeter, oscilloscope, etc.)
- Fail-safe and safety-related software design
- Multitasking software platforms
- One or more of the following: Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS), Allen Bradley or Siemens Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Software configuration management/version control tools
- Bachelors Degree (B.S. or B.A.) from an accredited college or university
- Some Physics Coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) required
- Science (Physics, Computer Science, …), Engineering, and/or Math Double Major or Major-Minor highly preferred
- Some Computer Science Coursework highly preferred
- Some Engineering Coursework highly preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
- Hands On Project(s) a plus
Additional InformationTo learn about the innovative work our Imagineers do, check out the following videos:
©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.