Software Engineer, Disney Research
"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Disney Research conducts scientific technical research in visual computing, artificial intelligence, machine learning and robotics for The Walt Disney Company.
Our goal is to add value to the businesses of The Walt Disney Company by inventing and applying technologies and making discoveries that are novel on a global.
The Software Engineer provides software and systems engineering services for technology transfers from Disney Research to the Disney Business Units.
- Implements software to transfer Disney Research results to Business Units.
- Transfer outcomes can be stand-alone software solutions, plugins for production pipelines already in use at Business Units, or software libraries.
- Participates as a member of a software development team in larger projects involving more than one engineer.
- Occasionally leads software development efforts for smaller projects.
- Focuses on engineering and software construction but also assists in the design and architecture of software system components.
- Provides input on time estimates and schedules. Constructs high-quality code that is properly documented and unit-tested.
- Participates in code reviews and system testing.
- Creates end-user documentation in the form of tutorials, examples, and/or complete user manuals.
- Demonstrates software to Business Units and trains end-users.
- Helps in deploying a software project and supports it through the full life cycle.
- Operates in a dynamic environment that is very fluid and ever changing (typical software engineers operate in a waterfall method).
- Must be able to interface and partner with both Engineers and Researchers in facilitating an iterative process.
- May indirectly supervise lab associates or research associates.
Basic QualificationsNeeded for some projects:
- C/C++, Python.
- Computer graphics, computer vision, rendering, VR/AR.
- Scientific programming with MATLAB or Octave.
- Real-time programming.
- Ability to troubleshoot computer-based systems.
- Demonstrated problem analysis and resolution skills.
- Proficiency in producing reliable, maintainable software.
- Demonstrated understanding of software engineering principles.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts in writing.
- Should have strong experience and knowledge with object oriented programming.
- Availability to be on-call to assist with major downtime occurrences.
- Availability to occasionally travel to support system design, development, or installation efforts.
- Availability to occasionally work extended hours or variable shifts to support system installation and/or system testing.
- Preferred minimum three years software engineering experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an engineering or science discipline (Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, or Computer Science preferred).
- Master’s degree in an engineering or science discipline.
©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.