Ride Control Systems Engineer, Principal
“We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Hurtling through space, diving down a mountain in a log, careening out of control in the jungle… ever imagine engineering these exhilarating adventures for Disney guests around the world? Superhero flight, outdueling a space fighter, cartoon-like motions… how would you pull these off? Are you interested in the challenges of making these reality-defying, emotive experiences work under real world constraints, while providing the illusion of journeys beyond people’s wildest dreams?
Ride Control Systems Engineers work within WDI’s Ride Studio on one or more ride attraction project teams, and are responsible for systems engineering activities for ride systems, covering all aspects of ride control system design and implementation, as well as integration of mechanical and electrical systems, from concept to commissioning, for a wide variety of innovative ride platforms that include unique requirements for novel rider experiences, high reliability, and inherent safety. They perform in a highly collaborative environment on diverse teams that include both technical and creative members, and are comfortable in environments where scope and requirements change frequently.
Picture yourself being amongst the “first riders” of the ride you just helped design, build, and commission!
Manage entire scope to conceive, design, and deliver control systems for a wide variety of large-scale, highly complex and innovative ride systems ensuring operational performance, reliability, and safety.
Perform engineering design and analysis for ride systems, with focus on system engineering and control systems.
- Develop control strategies and algorithms for ride attractions, ride vehicles, and motion systems.
- Design, model, and analyze electrical, data communication, and dynamic systems.
- Define control system and network architectures for ride systems.
- Prepare and propose new ride system concepts to creative and executive leaders.
Lead a team of ride control engineers and collaborate with other design and engineering professionals to develop and implement ride control systems.
- Collaborate with attraction development team to define and deliver innovative creative intent.
- Develop and capture requirements and functional specifications in documents, drawings, and models.
- Develop design strategies, risk mitigations, implementation plans, and budgets for ride control systems.
- Perform hazard assessments and failure modes and effects analysis.
- Develop test requirements and documents and lead ride installation and commissioning efforts.
Manage vendors, contractors, and consultants conducting control system design and implementation for ride systems.
- Identify and develop new ride system vendors and suppliers.
- Define, negotiate, and oversee supplier and consultant design and delivery efforts.
- Oversee and lead factory test and ride system installation/commissioning efforts.
- At least 10 years of experience with design, engineering, installation, and commissioning of control systems for electromechanical systems
- Experienced in fail-safe and safety-related system and software design, including defensive design techniques, and defensive programming
- Extensive knowledge of control processors, components, and communication networks used in multi-processing real-time industrial and/or embedded applications
- Demonstrated experience in industrial control system installation, integration and commissioning
- Proficient in software/system algorithm design and modeling methodologies such as UML/SysML
- Extensive understanding of communication technologies/protocols: TCP/IP, ProfiNET, Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT
- Demonstrated knowledge of amusement and automation industry standards
- Experience in broad application of control system theory (closed-loop control, MIMO systems, positioning and navigation)
- Demonstrated experience in scheduling and estimating control systems development and implementation scope
- Demonstrated experience in leading technical teams through the design and delivery process
- Demonstrated experienced in contractor/vendor management and technical contract documents
- Ability to travel and work both domestically and internationally, for varying durations that could be over 1 year
- Proficient in design of automated control systems applying functional safety concepts and standards
- Demonstrated experience in wireless communications for control and monitoring electromechanical system.
- Solid understanding of kinematics as it pertains to ride systems and machines
- Demonstrated knowledge of international amusement industry standards applicable in France, Hong Kong, or China
- As a minimum a Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university
- Some Physics Coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) required
- Some Computer Science Coursework highly preferred
- Some System Engineering coursework preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
Additional Information©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.