This position will report to the Vice President of Solution Engineering and Reference Architectures; the Technical Director of Solution Engineering provides technical solutions, design and estimation of initiatives across Online, Mobile and Experience offerings.
This role provides managerial oversight to solution architects as well as technical leadership to delivery initiatives as it relates to optimizing solutions to meet business demand. This position uses expert level knowledge of multiple technology platforms and disciplines and a detailed understanding of how they are deployed within Theme Parks & Resorts to justify and direct key technology decisions.
Knowing the Technology will be important, as you will also need to be able to present effectively to all levels and businesses. You will be a presenter at quarterly town halls and speak for the achievements of the organization, accomplishments and future vision and the overall progress. You must be able to present complicated technology concepts in a simple manner, and present key technology challenges or overviews with Senior technology leadership (C Level Execs). ResponsibilitiesStrong understanding of technologies and practices of the theme park and resort industries, back-of-house technologies, and end-to-end guest interaction.
- Expert in technology research and development methods and tools, and able to sponsor and lead multi-disciplined efforts.
- Provides technical leadership for the solution and design of key projects, promoting simplicity of solutions
- Validates the quality of technology deployed across the Digital space and is empowered to intervene and provide direction when technical standards fall short
- Ensures Operational Readiness of solutions by conducting technical reviews to assure that implementations align with initial solution
- Develops and Implements increasingly higher standards for performance, uptime, and resilience and builds these standards into solutions
- Pushes forward the adoption of reference architectures while capitalizing on the investments in existing solution
- Engineers solutions that promote best practices, minimize complexity and architectural layers and deliver business value
- Demonstrates year over year improvement in uptime, performance, and Guest (technical) satisfaction with solutions implemented
- Build and maintain trusting partnerships with business and technology leaders
- Work with business and technology executives to proactively understand demand and provide architecture guidance needed for road mapping and planning
- Provides thought leadership in the development of strategy, design, and best practices
- Drives down technology cost by promoting reuse and componentization
- Researches and implements practices that contribute to a lean organization
- Contributes to budgetary and planning activities
- Develops and maintains departmental budget and ensures adherence therein.
- Facilitates, challenges, and defends technology estimates.
- Shepherds technology estimates through the funding and approval process.
- Maintains communication of the project portfolio throughout engineering teams to promote inclusivity across disciplines and assure operational readiness.
- Creates and maintains a training plan to ensure consistency in Solution Engineering Adoption
- Builds a Solution Engineering practice that prides itself on designing simple solutions and empowers teams that hold each other to a higher standard
- Promotes the development and exploitation of technical knowledge and skills
- Facilitates various forums that promote collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Maintains awareness of best practices and emerging technologies and their viability at WDAT
- Maintains high levels of technical knowledge through ongoing research and development activities. May sponsor small technology task forces to research and potentially develop new technologies or practices.
- Experience in building large scale web applications or web-services leveraging Java/ JEE technologies
- Expert in technology research & development methods and tools, while demonstrating ability to sponsor and lead multi-disciplined efforts
- Expert level knowledge of technology product evaluation and selection including web and mobile architecture
- Demonstrates Strong people management skills; with an ability to inspire, mentor, and develop a highly motivated team
- Ability to work collaboratively with technical, and non-technical Cast across the organization at all levels
- Demonstrated exceptional critical thinking, strategic planning, and process management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communicator
- Proven ability to successfully manage vendor relationships
- Expert in technology consulting and leading teams of technical resources
- Detailed technical knowledge of Theme Parks & Resort business and technology architectures
- 10-15 years technology experience
- 10-15 years technology experiences
- Experience in Lodging and Hospitality Technology
- Experience with RFID technology for hospitality and ticketing.
- Experience with POS Technology
- Ability to perceive patterns and relationships between technologies, processes, and business models.
Required Education Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience. Company Overview “It takes people to make the dream a reality.” Walt was on to something when he said that, and it continues to ring true today. No matter the stage in your career, being part of Walt Disney Attractions Technology means being a part of a team where you help bring innovation to life through unsurpassed products, services and most importantly remarkable experiences. As a Cast Member, you are the steward and connection to our legacy and the backbone of our thriving innovations. Join our team and watch your dreams come true. Additional InformationThis position is with the legal entity of Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC, an equal opportunity employer.