Director, External Communications - Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
“We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Develop and implement Walt Disney Parks and Resorts global external communications strategies and integrated media relations programs to continue to build upon WDPR’s reputation as a global leader in the family vacation and entertainment business.
- Maintain and increase WDPR reputation as a global leader in both the theme park industry and destination resort business through strong proactive and reactive media relations programs.
- Develop and manage strategic communications plans to protect and enhance WDPR reputation in new and existing markets.
- Research, analyze, benchmark, provide recommendations and implement a “best in class” communications function within WDPR.
- Build and nurture relationships with local, national and international media and serve as a company spokesperson.
- Serve as a consultant and resource to sites around the globe on all media relations activities.
- Lead WDPR financial communication in partnership with the finance and corporate teams.
- Partner with teams throughout Public Affairs and Communications, including Public Relations, Special Events, Internal Communications, Executive Communications and Corporate Citizenship, to develop mutually beneficial, strategically sound programs and communications.
- Support the ongoing implementation of a global plan and create tools that assist with management of emergency preparedness / crisis communications across WDPR.
- Special projects, as assigned by the Vice President of External Communications.
- Minimum of 10 years of media relations experience dealing with blue chip brands, high profile government work or agency experience.
- Demonstrated previous experience leading and developing a high-performing team in a senior-leader- or executive-level capacity.
- Excellent oral/written communication and presentation skills.
- Crisis communications experience.
- Demonstrated creative thinking and the ability to take initiative with projects and anticipate issues of concern.
- Disciplined organizational skills in all aspects of job performance with strong attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture relationships with top-tier national and international media.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing environment.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to broadly influence and effectively forge partnerships both internally and externally.
- Proactive, self-starter.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- High level of corporate professionalism, maturity, and political savvy.
- Strong ability to synthesize large amounts of actionable data points.
- Proven ability to maintain confidential information.
- Willingness to travel.
- Bi-lingual proficiency (Spanish, French, Cantonese or Mandarin)
- Experience working in the WDPR or Disney environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Public Affairs, Communications, Journalism, Government, Broadcast Communications or other relevant areas.
- MBA degree or equivalent
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences. Bring your individual talents here and discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
“It takes people to make the dream a reality.” Walt was on to something when he said that, and it continues to ring true today. No matter the stage in your career, being a part of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts means being a part of a team where you help bring innovation to life through unsurpassed products, services and most importantly remarkable experiences. As a Cast Member you are the steward and connection to our legacy and the backbone of our thriving innovations. Join our team and watch your dreams come true. Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, an equal opportunity employer.