Lead Game Designer
The Lead Game Designer will be responsible for the creative vision of the entire game, and is responsible for communicating the vision to studio leadership and the supporting development team including other Game Designers, Producers, Artist, Engineers, Product Managers and others to ensure successful launch.
To successfully execute the role, the candidate must have experience leading a full development team for iOS & Android platforms, provide appropriate design documents, have deep experience in game design theory & game production processes, and a working understanding of Unity.
The candidate will work with a supporting Game Design team, coordinating all features to align with the overall product vision. The candidate will also work closely with the Product Manager to plan key features, live operations, and content updates.
The candidate will regularly communicate with studio leadership, assist in product play testing, and work with other team members to review the full mobile product. In addition, the candidate must be able to take notes from multiple sources and be able to incorporate the feedback into revised game content and features.
- Develop and own the overall vision for a free-to-play (F2P) mobile game from concept, development to live operations
- Daily coordination with Production, Art, Tech, Game Design, and other teams
- Define all game features and create relevant game design documentation. Oversee implementation of features to ensure they are built according to specs.
- Decide on needed iterations through playtesting, usability, and live ops
- Partner with the Lead Level Designer and a team of content designers to ensure high quality content in line with the game’s vision
- Design new game features and feature enhancements that drive user acquisition, increased retention, and monetization
- Lead supporting Game Designers and provide mentoring and growth
- Take concepts from one-pagers to complete game designs with the help of your team
- Participate in prototype efforts to prove-out early design concepts
- Present new game concepts, designs and stories to executive leadership and stakeholders
- Continually research market trends, and incorporate up-to-the-minute features and strategies
- Passion for video games a must!
- Drive to build a creative, world-class design culture
- Affinity for Disney/Pixar is a plus
- Prototyping experience is a plus
- Ability to communicate your designs and vision to colleagues from different professional backgrounds
- Thorough understanding of games’ commercial appeal, and motivations to different player demographics
- Strong aptitude for free-to-play (F2P) games
- Takes accountability and ownership of projects from start to finish
- Problem solver, results oriented, self-motivated and disciplined
- Able to multi-task like a pro
- Ability to take direction
- 6+ years of game industry experience
- 2+ years of experience designing mobile games as a Senior or Lead Designer
- 1+ years of experience designing F2P games
- At least one mobile game shipped as a Senior or Lead Designer
- Experience with Unity
Bachelor’s Degree Company Overview
DCPI is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company that brings stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games. DCPI comprises four main lines of business: Licensing, Retail, Games and Apps, and Content. The combined segment is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations around the world.